Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Novel Anticipation - August 2012


August may be a slight month when it comes to the number of books I anticipate reading, but I'm excited that two of my must-read authors--Laura Frantz and William Kent Krueger--have books releasing. My reading list might be slim, yet quality. I'm also intrigued by a new release from an author I haven't read before, Julie L. Cannon.

Ballantyne Legacy Series #1
Revell
432 pages

To my delight I received my complimentary copy of Love's Reckoning from Revell this past Saturday. In my estimation, Laura Frantz is one of the premier authors of historical fiction in the CBA. She's not a formula writer--which I greatly appreciate--and reading her prose is like hearing a symphony. Add to that, she's a vivid painter of scene so the reader is placed right in the middle of action, and her characters are rich and three-dimensional. I have no doubt that I will enjoy Love's Reckoning just as much as I have her past novels, The Frontiersman's Daughter, Courting Morrow Little, and The Colonel's Lady.

Book Description
    On a bitter December day in 1785, Silas Ballantyne arrives at the door of master blacksmith Liege Lee in York, Pennsylvania. Just months from becoming a master blacksmith himself, Silas is determined to finish his apprenticeship and move west. But Liege soon discovers that Silas is a prodigious worker and craftsman and endeavors to keep him in Lancaster. Silas becomes interested in both of Liege's daughters, the gentle and faith-filled Eden and the clever and high-spirited Elspeth. When he chooses one, will the other's jealousy destroy their love?

For more Spire Reviews' posts regarding Laura Frantz's work click <here>.

Atria Books
336 pages

William Kent Krueger is a fellow Minnesotan who sets many of his stories in picturesque northern Minnesota. That alone makes his work intriguing, but its his superb storytelling that keeps luring me back for more. The majority of Krueger's work centers around Cork O'Connor who's part Irish and part Anishinaabe Indian. He's a former Chicago cop, former small-town Sheriff, turned private investigator. His books are not Christian and if you're offended by rough language (which he uses sparingly), then his books may not be for you. But his novels always include a spiritual element, one that favors Christianity as opposed to mocking it. If you haven't read William Kent Krueger before, I highly recommend giving him a try. And if you are the type of reader who needs to start at Book #1 in a series, pick up Iron Lake. You won't be disappointed.  

Book Description
    Cork O'Connor is sitting in the shadow of a towering monolith known as Trickster's Point, deep in the Minnesota wilderness. Beside him is the first Native American governor-elect, Jubal Little, who is slowly dying with an arrow through his heart. Although the men have been bow hunting, this is no accident. The arrow in the governor's heart belongs to Cork.
    When he becomes the primary suspect in the murder, Cork understands full well that he's been set up. As he works to clear his name and track the real killer, he recalls his long, complex relationship with Jubal, the Native kid who aspired to be a populist politician and grew to become a cunning man capable of treachery and murder. As Cork looks deeply into his own past, he comes face to face with the many motives, good and ill, that lead men and women into the difficult, sometimes deadly, political arena.

List of Corcoran (Cork) O'Connor novels, click <here>.
For more Spire Reviews' posts regarding William Kent Krueger's work click <here>.

Abingdon Press
320 Pages

Author Julie Cannon is new to me, but the concept of Twang has me intrigued. My daughter's dream is to become a performer so any novels that chronicle a music star's life pique my interest. Hopefully, when I'm done reading Twang, I'll have one more author to add to my must-read list.

Book Description
    Twenty-three-year-old Jennifer Clodfelter believes she is destined to be a country music star. When her passion, determination and homemade demo tape were rejected by every music label in Nashville, she refused to give up. In just three years, a combination of guts and raw talent have propelled her on a journey of fame beyond her best dream.
    Now Jennifer has all she ever wanted, only to discover that there is a dark side to the glitz and number one hits. She will have to decide whether to sing her pain to a loving audience or find the courage to face the music in the private studio of her heart.

3 comments:

  1. Brenda, I'm so thankful we're linked through our love of out of the box books;) I look forward to holding yours in hand someday and think it will be sooner than later! Bless you for all your support and encouragment and being a kindred spirit.
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to support you, Laura! I love your books--managed to start Love's Reckoning today & didn't want to put it down. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time with my nose in your book over these next 24 hours. :)

      Delete
    2. That's an honor, Brenda. I know time is short especially now with August fleeing! Happy reading to you, my friend.

      Delete