Monday, May 3, 2010

Enemies Among Us

by Bob Hamer

Fidelis Books
336 pages


Gritty and Fast-Paced Realism in Debut Action/Thriller

I love action/thriller novels. Vince Flynn and Michael Connelly are a few of the authors whose books I won't miss. But, while I love Flynn & Connelly, the problem is, they're not exactly suited for the church library shelves. While there are action/thrillers in Christian fiction, it's rare to find comparable works, books that will intrigue across the religious line. Steven James is probably the best at appealing cross-genre and Tim Downs takes a close second.

Enemies Among Us, by veteran undercover FBI Agent Bob Hamer, leaps that barrier, and the book's even endorsed by Vince Flynn. Enemies is the action-packed story of Matt Hogan, a "cowboy" undercover agent who is given the assignment of tracking a terrorist cell in Los Angeles. This adrenaline-laced novel is highly detailed and intricately woven together. Hamer takes the reader inside Matt Hogan's life and mind-set. We experience the job's lethal dangers, plus we see the difficult balance required to maintain a happy marriage.

Albeit, the novel wasn't perfect. Some of the dialogue was stodgy, and at times the description stalled the action, but all-in-all I was very pleased with the book and Bob Hamer has definitely been added to my list of must reads.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. Aye, aye, aye, but there are so many ahead of it!

    Love Vince Flynn. Read every one of his and can't wait for American Assassin. I wish he'd let me write Mitch a love interest. I nearly hated Anna--horrible person that I am. I thought the final scene in Consent to Kill showed his ability as a writer, even though I don't think he writes to his potential most of the time. Love his work anyway. But, no, not for the church library . . . Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole - thanks for stopping by. :) I'm so glad I discovered your blog today. It looks like we enjoy many of the same type of books.

    I can't wait for American Assassin either, and to learn how Rapp got involved with the CIA. I agree with you regarding Anna. I never felt she was right for Mitch. But, I'll just bet there'll be a romantic interest for Mitch in the near future.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likewise with your review site. Great job. And, yes, we do enjoy similar novels. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete