Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Christmas List for Readers

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm one of the crazies who hits the stores the day after Thanksgiving. (No, not Walmart. I'm not THAT crazy.) But for me, this day is about so much more than shopping. it's about spending memorable times with family. You see, I get to spend the day with my mom, sisters, sisters-in-law, and now our daughters.

We're usually at the mall by six a.m. At that time, it's pretty quiet yet. We shop for three to four hours then go out to eat where we often laugh ourselves to tears. I'm so blessed to have this close family. I can't wait till this Friday!

Of course one of those stores I'll be shopping in is the local bookstore. Needless to say, I love giving books! ... If you love to give books too, I have a few suggestions, some of my top reads of this past year.


Contemporary:


DESERT GIFT
by Sally John
WORDS
by Ginny L. Yttrup
BREATH OF LIFE
by Nicole Petrino-Salter

Romance:

A GREAT CATCH
by Lorna Seilstad
THE COLONEL'S LADY
by Laura Frantz
RODEO DUST
by Shannon Taylor Vannatter

Literary:

BENEATH THE NIGHT TREE
by Nicole Baart
THE FIRST GARDENER
by Denise Hildreth Jones
THE OPPOSITE OF ART
by Athol Dickson













Speculative:
THE RESURRECTION
by Mike Duran
VIGILANTE
by Robin Parrish
DARKNESS FOLLOWS
by Mike Dellosso








Suspense:
NICK OF TIME
by Tim Downs
THE QUEEN
by Steven James
BILOXI SUNRISE
by Jerri Lynn Ledford
Biblical Fiction:
DAY OF WAR
by Cliff Graham
Happy Shopping & Happy Reading Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Honored to make your list, Bren. Thank you. I've read eight of these (including my own) ;). Nick of Time is next on my list. Good recommendations.

    I'm there sometimes on Friday mornings. It depends on what I'm shopping for. I love Christmas and all the crowds for little doses at a time. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day you have planned. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I hope you enjoy Nick of Time as much as I did. I've loved all Downs' bug man novels, but this was my favorite.

    I don't care much for the crowds at Christmastime so I try to get all my shopping done in one swoop. Getting to spend that time with family is the added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, You create stellar lists, even when I'm not on them! Thanks so much for including TCL here in such fine company. That means more than I can say. I also want to thank you for taking time for historicals/romance. Many pan it but you see the good in it! I hope this holiday season holds many joys for you and your loved ones - and some good books:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - I'm very glad to include you & TCL on my favorite's list.

    I really try to read from a diverse selection of books as all genres have merit. While I tend to enjoy contemporary works more than historicals, good writing transcends genre. If the writer tells a compelling story, that's my ultimate litmus test. Combine that with prose as beautiful as yours and I'll never tire of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, thanks for inclusion in your list. A wonderful selection of authors, I feel privileged. Have a wonderful Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to include you, Mike. I love a good story told well, and you've accomplished that with The Resurrection.

    Hope you have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete