Monday, February 14, 2011

WORDS

debut novel by Ginny L. Yttrup

B&H Publishing Group 2011
352 pages


Haunting. Compelling. Beautiful.

Kaylee Wren is ten. And silent. She hasn't spoken a word since her drug-addicted mother deserted her, leaving Kaylee behind with an abusive man in a run down cabin hidden among redwoods. The only memento her mother left behind is a book filled with the words Kaylee can't say. A dictionary.

Twelve years ago, Sierra Dawn's horrible choices ended up robbing her daughter Annie's life. Living with the guilt steals any joy from Sierra's life.

On the twelfth anniversary of Annie's death, Sierra Dawn flees to the remote redwoods where she discovers the little girl with haunted eyes. Eyes very much like Sierra's.

The two begin a journey searching for truth and find love along the way.

Anything I could write would be inadequate in describing this novel, so I'll just leave you with a few emotions and thoughts I recorded as read this book.

Painful. Compelling. Tear-inducing. Beautiful. Sickening. Powerful. Heart breaking. Uplifting. Maddening. Inspiring. Heart wrenching. Frustrating. Redeeming. Haunting.

Grace. Mercy. Hope. Love. Beauty.

By far, this is the best book I've read in 2011 and I recommend it to anyone looking for books that dare to dig beneath the surface, that dare to get down in the dirt with the hurting and lift them up out of it.

Meet Ginny Yttrup

Ginny Yttrup is an author, freelance writer, and writing coach. She has two grown sons and lives near Sacramento, California. WORDS is her debut novel.

http://www.ginnyyttrup.com/

5 comments:

  1. I'd seen some info on this book before - sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is intriguing, Regina. I'd add thought-provoking to my word list above too. It's an amazing debut effort by Ginny Yttrup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen! I love your blog too. I think you're the most creative person I know.

    I can't wait to share this award with my favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brenda, guess what I just picked up at the bookstore this morning on my way to work? I was drawn to the cover and the whole idea of collecting words. Definitely a venture out of my 'comfort genre zone' but I have a feeling it is going to be a very rewarding reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope you enjoy WORDS, Kav. It's not an easy read, but it is an important one. I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete